Boli (roasted plantain) is one of Nigeria’s favourite ‘roadside’ snacks, here is how you can make it in the comfort of your kitchen.
Homemade boli is quite easy to make.
You will need:
– A microwave oven
Yes. That’s all you need really, it’s that simple.
The kind of plantain you use will depend on how you like your boli; whether you prefer the very ripe and soft plantain for boli, the unripe and hard type or the one that’s just ripe, neither too soft or hard.
1. First you rinse the plantain and then peel off the skin.
2. Next you place the plantain on a plate and put in your microwave oven. Set the heat to medium or hot.
3. Turn the sides of the plantain from time to time, so it can cook properly and evenly.
4. Leave to cook for 10-15 minutes, depending on the quantity of plantain and how ripe it is. After 10- 15 minutes it would be a nice golden brown colour, if you like your boli extra crisp, then you can leave it to cook for a few extra minutes.
5. Serve as desired!
Boli is often served with roasted groundnut, grilled fish and/or pepper sauce.
Few health benefits of your Sweet-Looking ‘boli’:
1. Plantains contain a high amount of dietary fibre which helps ensure healthy bowels and reduces constipation.
2. Plantains are a very reliable source of starch and energy, especially when roasted.
3. Plantains have more vitamin C and A than bananas. It also contains powerful antioxidants.
4. As in bananas, they too are rich sources of B-complex vitamins, particularly high in vitamin-B6 (pyridoxine).
Pyridoxine is an important B-complex vitamin that has a beneficial role in the treatment of neuritis, anaemia, and to decrease homocysteine (one of the causative factors for coronary artery disease (CHD) and stroke episodes) levels in the body.
5. They are diuretic and can help prevent kidney and bladder problems. They also ease the discomfort associated with the menstrual period.
6. They contain folates, niacin, riboflavin and thiamin which are essential for healthy pregnancy.
7. Plantains have more potassium than bananas. Potassium is an important component of cell and body fluids that helps control heart rate and blood pressure, countering negative
effects of sodium.
Grab your roasted plantain and start enjoying these Health benefits.